May is Mental Health Awareness month so I couldn’t let the month end without writing a blog on mental health. While I’m a lifestyle blogger and I’m passionate about fashion, food, beauty, and travel, I’ve also worked in the mental health industry for many years. Some may say I am an expert but I will humbly give my two cents on the topic of mental health.
The quote “A Smile is Worth a Thousand Words” by Julie A. Walker speaks volumes. You never know how your simple smile can turn someone’s crappy day, into a better day. A person could be contemplating suicide or battling depression; seeing your smile could prompt them to seek help. Also, someone’s smile could be masking their real feelings; just because a person presents well doesn’t mean they are well.
Even the most glamorous people face real life issues and one never knows what a person is battling with emotionally behind closed doors. I think about Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade, two beloved people who ended their lives via suicide last year. About two months ago, I saw Wendy Williams bravely share with her audience her history of substance abuse and how she had been living in a sober house over the last couple of months. I applaud Wendy for being transparent and speaking her truth.
These are five tell tale signs that you or someone you know could be depressed and may need to seek help.
- One has been isolating from friends and family
- The things one used to enjoy, they don’t enjoy anymore (or in psych terms one is experiencing anhedonia)
- One has appetite disturbance such as overeating or not eating at all
- One has been using substances to self medicate such as drinking alcohol or using drugs
- One finds it more difficult to groom himself or herself
Here’s some resources for mental health support.